Óstan Loch Altan
Óstan Loch Altan, which is situated in the heart of the Donegal Gaeltacht in the village of Gortahork, is flanked on one side by the sea and nestles in the shadow of Errigal and Muckish Mountains on the other side. The hotel gets it’s name from the beautiful lake, Loch Altan, which is located at the foot of Errigal Mountain, the highest mountain in Donegal. Irish is the spoken language in this area, an area rich in traditional music, song and dance. The hotel gives priority to the Irish language, but no matter what language our guests speak, they will be warmly welcomed by our hotel staff. We place a strong emphasis on every aspect of Irish Culture from folklore and music to song and dance.
An tSean Bheairic – Falcarragh Visitor Centre
This authentic two-storey building was originally constructed in 1890 as the Falcarragh Police Barracks and used as such until 1920 when it became the Falcarragh Garda Station. This period in history coincides with the most memorable time in the development of the Irish Republic and therefore the building has witnessed some dramatic events. Permanent exhibits of the history and culture of the Barracks are displayed within the visitor centre, which adds to the uniqueness and authenticity of the centre. The Centre currently includes a Coffee Shop which serves a range of hot drinks, light lunches, sandwiches, paninis, wraps, scones and cakes; Heritage Centre with exhibits which tell the history of the area. An tSean Bheairic has produced two audio-visual displays which are available to view in the centre which tell the history of the area and the history of policing in the area; Fáilte Ireland Visitor Information Point which provides information on accommodation, places to eat, routes to take, maps, guides and books, places to visit, things to do and details of national and local events; Craft Shop selling gifts, souvenirs, local craft, books and CD’s; Conference facilities – Conference room available for seminars, conferences, workshops, training, interviews and board meetings hosting up to 50 delegates. With Audio/Video equipment, Screen and Projector; Library An outreach of the Donegal County Library; Education various different classes/workshops take place throughout the year.- www.falcarraghvisitorcentre.com
Words alone, no matter how finely woven, could never give a true impression of the rugged beauty of Tory, the indominatable spirit of its people or their rich cultural inheritance. Tory must be visited if one is even to begin to understand why this remote crag, two and a half miles long and three quarters of a mile wide, holds such an attraction for its inhabitants that they, like their forebears, endure the full fury of the North Atlantic winter for pleasure and the privilage of living here in summer.
Tory’s spectacular cliff scenery is complemented by a rich and varied history which is related in the islanders distinctive Gaelic. Colm Cille figures prominently in the history of this sacred island which he chose as a place of retreat and meditation for his monks. Shipwrecks, poitín smuggling and tales of violent storms have also been drawn into its folklore. Nevertheless, it is neither the myths, the monastic ruins nor even the majestic cliffs which make the deepest impression on visitors to Tory. It is the islanders themselves, like all people who live in remote places and work hard to make a living, the islanders know how to enjoy themselves and they always make a stranger feel at home.
Turasmara will take you from the picturesque harbours of Bunbeg and Magheroarty to Tory Island on board Tormór, a modern coastal cruiser built in 1992. The service is fully licensed by the Department of Marine and approved by Bord Failte.
Travel with Turasmara in safety and comfort and see the beautiful North West Donegal coastline – Magheroarty Bay, Gweedore Bay, Bloody Foreland, Horn Head, Inisbofin, Gola Island, Inismeáin, Inis Oithear and the magical isle of Tory – Toraigh na dTonn. Relax a while on this cradle of Gaelic Irish culture. Talk to the native Irish speakers and visit the famous ‘Tormór’, Colmcille’s Round Tower, Balors Grave and Camusmore. Sample the hospitality of the island people. Listen to the sweet tones of the beautiful Irish language – Gaeilge in everyday use.
See the famous Tory painters at work and above all have your very own audience with the King of Tory – Rí an Oileáin. www.toryislandferry.com
Cnoc na Naomh
According to local folklore, and recounted by Micí Mac Gabhann in his memoir, Rotha Mór an tSaoil, Saint Colmcille stood on this hill – Cnoc na Naomh – with his companions, Saint Fionán, Saint Dubhtha and Saint Begley. Whilst standing on top of Cnoc na Naomh the four Saints were discussing which of them should be responsible for bringing Christianity to Tory Island. They decided that whichever of them could throw his crozier all the way to Tory Island would bring Christianity to the people of the Island.
Two of the croziers landed on ground near to Falcarragh and a third on the Island of Inis Dubhaigh, but St. Colmcille’s crozier made it to Tory and it was he who subsequently made his own way to Tory to convert the Islanders to Christianity.
Cloughaneely Golf Club
Cloughaneely Golf Club was officially opened in 1996.
We reside in the heart of the North-west Donegal Gaeltacht area just outside the Village of Falcarragh. We have some stunning views and a 9 hole golf course set in a beautiful woodland estate. Our course also boasts beautiful walkways and nature spotting.
If you are lucky you may even spot one of our mating pair of eagles who frequent the course.
Inishbofin Island is off the north west coast of Co Donegal, Ireland and is a Discovery Point on the Wild Atlantic Way. It is 5km from Magheroarty and there is a boat service when required but not a regular ferry. The residents of the island are native Irish language speakers and the name of the Island in Irish is Inis Bó Finne meaning Island of the White Cow. The reference to white cow is thought to have come from Irish Mythology and folklore where a great cow named Glas Ghaibheann could travel around Ireland in one day providing milk to anyone who needed it. The Glas appears in the story of the hero Lugh who killed the Fomorian king Balor of the Evil Eye. After Balor sought refuge on the nearby Tory island when he was driven from the mainland by the warriors Fir Bolg he wanted to possess the Glas. When he attacked and stole the Glas he stopped off on Inishbofin on his return to Tory where the cow drank from a well. It is a 300 acre island of two halves connected by a narrow, sandy col. The Island is a sanctuary for bird life such as the endangered corncrake, migratory Arctic terns, peregrine falcons, barnacle geese and choughs. The island is well known for its surfing, kayaking and fishing but the views are something to behold.
Constable Charles Mc Gee
Constable Charlie McGee, a young man from Inis Bó Finne in Donegal, was one of the first people killed in the Easter Rising. He was only 23 years of age when he was shot by the Volunteers in Castlebellingham, Co. Louth, on Easter Monday. On the 11 March this year a group of people, under the leadership of Dr Lochlainn Mhic a Ghoill, President of the Donegal History and Folklore Society, walked in the causeway to Inis Bó Finne, a trip only possible on two days of the year at low tide. Historian Dr Seosamh Ó Ceallaigh gave a lecture on Constable Charlie McGee, and how a young man from Inis Bó Finne came to be a member of the Royal Irish Constabulary.
Arthur Kingsley Porter (1883-1933?) was an American multi-millionaire, an eminent Harvard Professor of fine arts, an international traveller and researcher of medieval architecture, an award-winning author, and owner of Glenveagh Castle, Co. Donegal, Ireland. While spending a night at the fisherman’s hut that he built on Inishbofin Island, off Co. Donegal, Porter disappeared without trace, on July 8th 1933. The subsequent inquest was the first to be held in Ireland without a body. Sightings of the professor continued to be reported from locations all over the world for many years after his disappearance.
Glenveagh Castle and National Park
Glenveagh Castle is a 19th century castellated mansion and was built between 1867 and 1873. Its construction in a remote mountain setting was inspired by the Victorian idyll of a romantic highland retreat.
It was designed by John Townsend Trench, a cousin of its builder and first owner, John George Adair, with whom he had been raised in Co. Laois. The designer appears to have imitated the style of earlier Irish Tower-houses adding an air of antiquity to the castle. The building stone choosen was granite, plentiful in Donegal but difficult to work and allowing for little detail.
The forbidding architecture of the castle is quickly forgotten amidst the varied comforts within. Henry McIlhenny, the last owner of the castle, served the Philadelphia Museum of Art as Curator of Decorative Arts and his expertise in this field is evident throughout the castle. Through time, each room acquired a different character, some roughly in keeping with the period of the house, others freely inventive.
Few of the great houses of Ireland are preserved in this condition, with their original furnishings, and in Glenveagh Castle one catches a glimpse of a lifestyle belonging to an earlier age.
Access to the castle is by guided tour which last approx 40 mins
The Glenveagh Visitor Centre is located on the northern end of Lough Veagh, near the edge of the National Park. Its award-winning design incorporates a living heather roof mimicking the surrounding landscape causing minimum disturbance. The extensive displays contained within provide an introduction to the parks natural and built history as well as providing information on walking trails, events etc. Guides on duty will also be happy to provide visitors with information about the park and surrounding area as well as tickets for the park buses.